Meta-title: DOT Physical Exam In Las Vegas | SNOHC Meta-description: Who needs to pass the DOT physical exam? What are New DOT Physical Requirements In 2020? How often is it required? And many more.
DOT Physical Exam is required by the Department of Transportation for all Commercial Drivers. A driver’s physical and mental conditions are checked to make sure they operate a vehicle safely. In this exam, a certified DOT medical examiner evaluates a person's physical and mental health to assure no medical conditions will stop his/her ability to drive and operate a vehicle safely.
Before applying for this test, you need to know a few tips. What should we do before the test? What does this test include? Where do we go to do this test in Las Vegas? Keep in mind that the DOT Physical Exam is simple and there is nothing for you to worry about.
What is a dot physical exam?
Companies can not hire drivers without a valid DOT card. DOT physical exam ensures drivers will be safe on the road and compliant with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Who needs a dot medical card?
Everyone who are in one of these groups needs to pass a DOT physical exam:
- People whose job requires to carry hazardous materials
- People drive motor vehicles with over 10.000 pounds of gross weight
- If you are going to operate commercial motor vehicles
- You drive a motor vehicle that takes more than eight people
What are the requirements to pass a dot physical?
Before taking the Department of Transportation physical exam, all the drivers and the candidates should consider the following:
- The drivers have to have a visual or visual intellectual acuity of 20/40, with or without using corrective visual aids.
- The drivers should have 70 degrees or more vision in each eye.
- The drivers should be able to hear a forced whisper within the perimeter of 5 feet, but without using any corrective hearing aid.
- The drivers should pass the compulsory audiometer assessment.
- The drivers should not have a history of high or low blood pressure. The blood pressure should be at 140/90.
Those who meet the requirements and pass the test receive a DOT certificate that’s valid for 24 months. If you must do this test, consider the following:
- Complete the Medical Examination Report before your visit to save time.
- This exam is not covered by insurance
- Have a comprehensive list of all the medications you are taking.
What does a dot physical consist of?
1. Dot Vision Test
Drivers are needed to have at least 20/40 acuity in each eye with or without correction. They need to have at least 70" peripheral in the horizontal meridian, measured in each eye.
2. Hearing or dot hearing test
Drivers must be able to understand what is well-known as a "forced whisper" at a range of 5ft or less, by hearing aid.
3. Dot Physical Blood pressure or pulse rate
The medical examiner will examine the driver's blood pressure and pulse to look for disorder in blood pressure and unusual heartbeats.
4. Urinalysis or dot physical drug test
A urinalysis is obligatory. The test looks for signs of underlying medical conditions such as diabetes and drug testing purposes.
5. Physical Examination
The physical test will cover a dozen different categories:
- Mouth and throat (to look for irregular things in breathing or swallowing)
- Heart (extra sounds)
- Lungs and chest, but not including breast test (unusual breathing, impaired respiratory functions, cyanosis, etc.)
- Impaired stomach and Viscera (enlarged liver, viscera, muscle weakness)
- Vascular problems
- Genito-urinary (hernias) vein reorder
- Extremities (limb impaired)
- Spine, other diseases related to bone (back surgery, limitation of motion, tenderness, etc.)
- Neurological problems (coordination or speech model, ataxia, asymmetric deep tendon reflexes)
Do you get drug tested for a dot physical?
Yes. As explained, you should do a urine test as part of this checkup.This test not only helps diagnose an underlying disease such as diabetes, but also examines the possibility of drugs.
How often is a DOT exam required?
Almost most of the medical certificates are valid for two years. However, if you suffer a particular medical condition like low/high blood pressure or anything that could affect your performance, a one year certificate might be granted. And if you have very high blood pressure or other treatable conditions, you may receive a 3-month license. After three months, if you show an improvement in that condition, you'll be eligible to get a one or two-year certificate.
In some cases, after obtaining the certificate, you may experience problems that interfere with your performance while driving. In this case, you must first stop driving and treat the condition. Then do a physical DOT again to make sure you are healthy
Can you pass a dot physical with high blood pressure?
Yes, but as explained, you may be given a 3-month license. Of course, if you recover, you can get a one or two year certificate.
What can cause you to fail in a DOT physical?
There are some conditions which disqualify the candidates and make them ineligible to take the DOT physical exam:
- The candidate has a history of alcohol addiction/sedative drugs.
- The candidate undergoes a treatment that includes prescribed drugs
- The candidate suffers seizures
- The candidate suffers physical restrictions
What if you fail?
If you can not pass the exam, this does not necessarily prevent you from becoming a driver. Discuss to your doctor about your disqualifying condition. If you can make it better with treatment, consider a plan to address it and try again.
How to pass a dot physical?
Certified medical examiner recommends the following hints to pass your physical:
- One week before your exam, eat and drink as healthfully as possible. It means reducing or cutting out caffeine, salt, sugar, and junk food. It will balance your blood pressure.
- Take all your medications as scheduled, since irregularities in the use of necessary medications might lead to incorrect readings during the exam.
- If you use visual lenses or glasses to improve your vision, make sure your medicine is up to date and take your improving lenses with you to the physical exam.
What should you bring to the exam?
- Your medical history
- Glasses or let the examiner know if you wear contact lenses
- Hearing Aids
- List of prescriptions medications, and current dosage you take
To save time, clinics suggest that drivers fill out the health history questionnaire before coming.
Diabetic drivers must bring the newest lab results (their Hemoglobin A1C (HgAIC) and fast blood sugar).
Drivers with heart-related problems must, at least, bring a letter from their cardiologist that shows that they are safe to work.
The DOT exam takes about 45m at SNOHC. The test assures you, and everyone else is safe while driving. Relax for this mandatory test by OSHA. Put away your worries, stay active, eat well, take your medications, if any. You will have no problem with the way to pass a physical.
What happens after you take the DOT physical?
If the medical examiner confirms that the person is qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV), he or she must provide a copy of the results and then complete the Medical Examiner's Certificate. The ME will also electronically send your medical report to the DOT, and this report will add to the CDLIS. If a driver is not able to update his medical certification with the SDLA before it expires, CDLIS will notify that he is no longer medically certified to drive a CMV and will downgrade the driver's license to "non-CDL" status. A DOT medical card is proof of passing a DOT physical exam.
If a driver cannot meet the requirements for the Vision, Diabetes, or Physical Impairment part of the DOT physical, he/she may be eligible for a driver exemption.
What is a dot card?
If you can meet all the requirements for this test, certified medical examiners will issue you a DOT medical card, which is valid for a certain period of time. Without this card, you will lose your CDL.
Dot physicals near me
Southern Nevada Occupational Health Center offers a wide and complete range of occupational health services including this exam in Las Vegas. If you need to do this or other tests, you can get an appointment online. Also, refer to the main page of the website
Frequently Asked Questions about DOT PhysicalHow to pass a dot physical?
- YEat a healthy diet
- Take all your medications as scheduled.
- Bring with you items like glasses, hearing aids, lenses ...
It is a type of physical examination that determines if a driver can operate a commercial motor vehicle safely.Do you get drug tested for a dot physical?
Yes, you should do a urinalysis.This test helps diagnose a disease such as diabetes, and examines the possibility of drugs.What do they do for a dot physical?
Dot physical exams include vision, hearing, urine tests, blood pressure, heart rate, and physical exams.
Other Physical Exams
Stay Healthy!! Stay Strong!!
To make an appointment online at Southern Nevada Occupational Health Center (SNOHC), click here and file the form or call us at (702) 380-3989 Click Here →